Self-involved, but with a great taste in music

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Road

I absolutely adore vocabulary. Most of that comes from having to take so many English classes in college, but I've always appreciated language. There are so many different ways to say the same thing. It's akin to writing an email vs. hand writing a letter, they may technically achieve the same goal, but they have a vastly different impact.


One of my most favorite individuals found this cool site that aggregates the words you use the most in your blog and makes a map of it. Mine is really sad. I've had a sneaking suspicion that I had become rather lazy and sluggish with my diction, and this map does little to disabuse that notion. Sadly work emails and notes don't engender elevated vocab...

Tho I'm super glad piglet made the list.



I'm currently reading "The Road", which is a fantastic book and I can lend it to anyone... however, the book is a little dangerous. It's definitely not a light or easy read, and I'm not referring to the level of difficulty. It must be the most solemn and foreboding novel I've ever read. But, in the face of horror, there is the opportunity to create and foster something amazing.

Basically it's an amalgamation of a post-apocalyptic future, holding on to humanity while surrounded by insanity, an arduous road trip, and other things that I haven't deciphered quite yet. But more than anything it's about the relationship between a father and son.




Their relationship is beyond moving and, while it seems the book isn't about happy endings (or beginnings or middles for that matter), it's been well worth the anxiety so far.

2 comments:

Cole Franke said...

I was going to text you yesterday and ask what you were reading. but no phone. Sounds really good. I was thinking about reading Angela's Ashes. Won the Pulitzer so has to be really good right? Need to pick up a book. Been blogging too much. ha! I like your vocab list. Funny that LIKE is your main word. better than hate. :)

Kristin said...

oooh h what website is that? im a little curious to what dominates mine.

you might be disappointed in your verbage lately however your topics on here have been quite entertaining.

Post a Comment