Self-involved, but with a great taste in music

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Top 5 Movies of All-Time

Now, again, this is a list of my FAVORITE movies, not necessarily the BEST movies.

One of my favorite movies from the last few years is Adventureland. If you haven't seen it, it's definitely a good watch. It captures that reckless, staving off the dawn, having conversations with friends into the odd hours of the night feeling that seems too long ago.

There are some great movies that didn't make the cut... America's Sweethearts, Just Friends, Tombstone, Last Samurai... but the plaque for the alternates is in the ladies room.

5. Fight Club
The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.


A movie about disenfranchised guys in their 20s and 30s who grew up under the guise of the American Dream, made to believe they could be actors or astronauts, and coming to terms with who they are. And this is about how they deal with that. One of the most comical movies I've ever seen.

4. Top Gun


The entire freaking movie is a line.

3. Great Expectations


I knew I'd love this movie. I think it came out the same weekend the Wedding Singer came out (which I love as well.) There's not much more poetic about boy wants girl, boy can't have girl. The acting, the lighting, the soundtrack... and it has one of the most intensely passionate scenes I've ever witnessed.

2. Grosse Point Blank


This used to be the Matrix, but the sequels took off quite a bit of luster. Quirky and hilarious. It took a couple of watches before I really recognized how amazing this movie is.

1. Gattaca


This is the only perfect movie I've ever seen. The atmosphere, the soundtrack, the cinematography... all of it. It's not for everyone, which helps lock it in as my favorite movie of all-time.

1 comments:

Erik said...

Amen, Gattaca.

Post a Comment